Book Tag – you’re next!
I’ve been tagged by Tanya at green pawpaw to join in with book tag. This is the first time I’ve taken part in this and it seems a pretty fun thing so my answers are below. Thanks Tanya – and, sorry, had to bring Gaiman into this – got Coraline and American Gods sat waiting to be read.
Firstly there are rules! The first rule is that I have to post the rules. I also have to answer the questions set by the person who tagged me. I then have to think of 11 other people to tag, let them know they’ve been tagged and give them 11 questions to answer. Easy really!
So, there’s the rules. Now to choose who to tag (if you don’t want to take part, no worries, but it would be great to hear your answers! – ha, no pressure then!!) (Actually, I must confess that my first thought was ‘how on earth would I choose ? And do I even know enough people? – trauma! - not really, as it happens I quite enjoyed making my list (gonna turn into a listing maniac now)).
1. Little Red Reviewer - I love this blog and it’s where I get most of my books recommendations from.
2. Genkinahaito - movie reviews, anime and manga, very interesting
3. Booky pony – reads a metric tonne of books (how is it even possible?)
4. Books Without Pictures - (Grace, I know you’ve already been tagged so I’ll put your link up! – couldn’t leave you off though)
5. 50 Year Project - a great blog, really interesting, loads going on, stories through pictures, travel, everything..
6. Nashville Book Worm - books and movie reviews, check it out!
7. The Jane Doe Novel Experience - a really interesting idea/experiment, writing a novel and posting chapters on her blog.
8. Novel Girl – lots of advice for would-be writers, book reviews not to mention writing her own novel
9. A Garden Carried in Your Pocket – the name alone (come on!) – lots of book reviews, very creative, sewing, gardening, quilting!
10. pixmuse – a lovely blog, creative with pictures for all seasons
11. Stainless Steel Droppings - without who I probably wouldn’t even know most of you!!!
And now to the Q&A:
1. If you had the power to ban a certain book, or certain kinds of books, however productive the outcome may be (think Twilight or Oliver’s Story), even if you knew a huge majority of readers might thank you for it, would you?
mmmm, 50 Shades of Grey – because it’s now going to cause a literal storm of cheap-slut-porn-books, poorly written, no story, trashy sex on each page, no dialogue pulp pretending to be literature! Rant over! Actually, I don’t think I’d ban anything – too controlling and people should be allowed to make their own choices.
2. What is one book you wish you had written?
I wish I could write a book! My partner is always telling me that I read so many books that I must be able to write one! It doesn’t really work like that. I’m a reader not a writer but I think if I was to choose a book that I wish was mind it would either be something by Gaiman – just because I’m all loved up with his books at the moment or The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss is a writing hero!) Or, The Troupe – because I did REALLY like that just recently. Okay, that’s three answers (stop typing now…) No, Lord of the Rings. STOP!!
3. You have finally achieved world domination and as new king/queen of the world, you need to fashion yourself a crown. But of course, you’re too cool for precious metals and the like. What would your crown be/be made of?
I think I’ll have a crown made of Haribo sweets – it’s gonna be messy! Plus it’s probably not going to last long. Bit like those sweets that are on an elastic string that you have to bite off – sticky and sickly! Actually, I’ve sort of put myself off that idea – but it’s the only thing I’m coming up with for now. I’ll probably think of a better answer as soon as I post this! Shells.
4. Have you ever wondered how a doggie biscuit tastes and wanted to try?
I have two dogs but to date have not had any desire to try their food! Which isn’t to say I don’t buy them nice doggie things – they go wild for dentastix (to clean their teeth with) but I’ll just stick to my own biscuits and a toothbrush. Perhaps if I get trapped under a heavy object in the kitchen and have no alternative…
5. Is there a book that you weren’t able to complete for whatever reason, but lied about it and told people you did? Which one?
Just recently there have been quite a few books that I just haven’t had the patience to complete. Not sure why, but I’ve lost the will to continue to the end of a book if I’m not enjoying it. Not sure that I’ve ever told people I’d read a book that I haven’t though.
6. Your choice of instant pick-me-up food?
Tempted to say Ben and Jerry’s. But no. Probably something really simple like toast – hot and buttery!
7. If there was an appendage you could add to the human anatomy (wings, talons, a tail…), what would it be?
Got to be wings. I’ve actually dreamt of flying – really! How cool would it be to be able to fly. You could have an extra long lie in and still not be late for work – don’t know what your hair would look like by the time you got there – also you might be covered in bugs! (eugh!) Still, sticking with the wings.
8. If you could go back in time and stop a famous event from taking place, what would it be and why?
The Great Fire of London, no, because then London was rebuilt, better than it was before, stronger, faster (oh, wait, I’ve moved onto the bionic man), okay, seriously, I would go back in time and make sure that Vimto was never invented – that’s not a famous event. I think it would be to stop WWII. Don’t know how and can’t even think of all the implications, but there it is.
9,10,11. All the book characters you’ve ever loved are people in your immediate friend circle. Who would you turn to:
a) to make a bucket list with you and go all over the world fulfilling each item on the list?
Aragorn. Simple as. He’s got the phwoa factor, he’s handy in a fight! He can read a map and won’t get you lost. Who am I kidding – he’s just a hottie!
b) to plonk down next to you on that patch of moon land you guys bought, feel awesome, and somehow keep each other from dying of boredom until the next space shuttle comes to pick you up?
So basically, who would I choose to be stranded with – definitely not a vampire – I’d be the only source of food after all. Jean Tannen – obviously! Not that I have a one track mind or anything – Aragorn for answer (a) and now Jean!
c) when the world thinks you’re responsible for the attack on the entire human race by some random scary evil alien monsters and you are the only one who knows what they want but nobody will listen to you and you need somebody to help you save the world? (Sorry. This is a question that plagues me at night.) Superman.
I’m sticking with these questions with no changes because I’ve had a good time reading them out to my family and hearing the answers. Surprisingly – two of my family have tried dog biscuits (why oh why, perhaps this is a testament to my cooking), chocolate was the obvious answer to the pick me up food, school books that have to be read were the most popular answers for books that you lied about reading and I’m afraid I can’t even list the answers to the extra appendage question – but you’ve all got good imaginations so use them!
Now, I can’t deny that this is a bit time consuming but I’ve really had a giggle – simply because I got everyone involved and I’ve come to the realisation that my family love daft, random questions!
I hope you’ll enjoy these and no worries if you don’t have time to take part (I won’t stalk you or anything!).